- Raw rice - 1/2 cup
- Moong dhal - 2 tbspn
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds - 1/4 tspn
- Coconut milk - 3/4 cup
- Garlic - 4 pod
Moong dhal is rich in protein. Fenugreek is a natural source of iron, silicon, sodium and thiamine and helps in soothing and relaxing inflamed tissues. Garlic has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
I learned this recipe from my Mom. Back in India, my Mom used to make this porridge every other weekend because it is good for health & the fenugreek in the recipe cools down the body. Soon after I left India I rarely made this dish except during the summer times. I was about to post this recipe for the "cooking with seeds" event but I am past the event date. Please be aware the recipe uses coconut & if you are conscious about cholesterol you may want to tone its quantity down a bit.
- Dry roast the rice, moong dal & fenugreek seeds till they all give out a nice aroma. Let them cool.
- When cooled, wash them & pressure cook them with chopped garlic for 3 whistles or till the rice gets soft.
- Grind the coconut & squeeze out the milk while the rice is cooking.
- Mash the cooked ingredients & add coconut milk & salt. Turn on the stove & let it heat for 2 minutes. You don't want to over heat it. Serve it with garlic pickle .
This Kanji can be made using mixed beans like Green gram, Red beans & other smaller beans you have along with Kambu, brown rice, red rice & black rice. Soak the beans overnight & cook it with other ingredients. Beans doesn't have to get mushy. Eliminate the garlic. Brown sugar or jaggery can be replaced for salt in both the methods.